20 Comments

1. Suma Subramaniam
    4 March, 2013 @ 7:44 am

I loved the list. Back in school, I grew up reading Arthur Conan Doyle and Shakespeare stories as part of the curriculum. The post triggers pleasant memories of reading in my school library during lunch hours. Thanks for sharing Eileen and Fabio.

-Suma.

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

Hi, Suma! I need to check out all the books in Eileen’s list too 🙂

2. Tiffany A White
    4 March, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Not one of these books were on our reading lists in school. While many sighed every time we were assigned a new book, I never did. I loved reading. The Great Gatsby. Wuthering Heights. Any Shakespeare. I will have to keep an eye out for my nephews’ lists to see if they read these. Nice to meet you, Eileen! Congrats on your upcoming release!

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

Hi, Tiffany! Some of the books I read in school were fantastic. I only got to read The Great Gatsby a few years ago, though–loved it!

3. CC MacKenzie
    4 March, 2013 @ 9:39 am

Excellent post, Eileen.

Hmm, in my day it was Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, which I loved. Unlike Tiffany, I loathed Shakespeare except for Macbeth – I enjoyed that one! I know my son loved Arthur Conan Doyle.

Congratulations on your upcoming release!

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

CC, I’m ashamed to confess: I can admire Shakespeare, but I cannot enjoy it. There, I said it. I hope the Writing Gods don’t abandon me.

4. Angela Orlowski-Peart
    4 March, 2013 @ 9:56 am

So wonderful to see your smiling face on Fabio’s blog, Eileen! I can’t wait to see Vhoising Sunshine published.

I grew up in Poland, so the list of our mandatory school books was different from what the fellow American authors have experienced. The majority of books were European classics by Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Pushkin, Chekhov, and many others. But my favorite have always been Polish writers, both contemporary and classic: Stanislaw Lem, Witold Gombrowicz, Adam Mickiewicz, Czeslaw Milosz, to name just a handful. I still come back to those books often, reading and re-reading, always finding something exciting, undiscovered before.

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

Hi, Angela! Some of the old Europena classic are heavy: in content and in weight of the books 🙂 At least, the ebooks can take care of the latter…
      I’m intrigued by your list of Polish writers.

5. Jennifer Jensen (@jenjensen2)
    4 March, 2013 @ 10:34 am

What a great list of books, Eileen! They’re going on my TBR list, especially Blood Red Horse.

I don’t remember a reading list for Jr. High age, but in high school, my favorite was The Crucible. There was one other that I loved, from the viewpoint of a father whose son had died/was dying. Don’t remember the name, but it was powerful. I didn’t get Lord of the Flies until college and hated it, until I read it as a mature adult to help my son in his high school reading – at which time I’d read and written enough to really appreciate it.

Hope to see you around the blogosphere, Eileen. And thanks for hosting her, Fabio!

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

Hi, Jennifer. It’s funny how books resonate differently at different times of our lives, isn’t it? I actually enjoyed “The Catcher in the Rye” more the second time I read it. Thanks for stopping by!

6. Martina Dalton
    4 March, 2013 @ 10:55 am

Great post, Eileen! I didn’t have any of those books on my reading list in school, but now I’m adding them to my list. Thanks for sharing!

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

Hi, Martina! Eileen came up with a great idea, didn’t she? Loved her perspective.

7. Stephanie Queen
    4 March, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Fascinating stories, Eileen! I love hearing about what teens love to read these days! In my day it was Lord of the Flies.

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

Hi, Stephanie, thanks for visiting. I was wondering how the school lists have evolved through the years. Are the same books considered classics? I’d love to know more about that.

8. Karen McFarland
    4 March, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I enjoyed your post Eileen and look forward to your upcoming release! How exciting! Thanks Fabio for introducing us to Eileen! 🙂

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome, Karen!

9. Amy Shojai, CABC
    4 March, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

Aww, this takes me back. The Blood Red Horse…I read every horse and dog book I could get my hands on at that age.

• Fabio Bueno
      4 March, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

I didn’t know about “The Blood Red Horse”, Amy. Now I’m curious! Thanks, Eileen, for listing it.

10. Julie Glover
    5 March, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

I loved this list! I don’t recall one favorite in particular, but among my high school must-reads were some wonderful novels: Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence, Lord of the Flies by William Golding, Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, and All Is Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

(I also remember the ones I hated like The Iliad by Homer and The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper–the only assigned novels I didn’t finish.)

• Fabio Bueno
      20 March, 2013 @ 8:48 am

Do you think that if we revisit those novels, they would have the same impact they did at the time, Julie? I wonder about that… Afraid to put it to a test, though 🙂